Salzburg Pericopes

Title:
Salzburg Pericopes
Shelf Mark:
Clm 15713
Alternate Names:
Salzburger Perikopenbuch
Origin:
Salzburg Monastery, Salzburg
Dimensions:
37.2 × 29 cm − 140 pp
Date Description:
ca. 1020
Content:
Gospel readings for the ecclesiastical year
Hand:
Caroline minuscule
Illuminations:
Yes
Type of Decoration:
This book combines byzantine influences with those from the Regensburg and Reichenau workshops. There was great mobility between medieval monasteries, with the scriptoria of many monasteries organizing exchanges of scribes and illuminators. There are 19 large gilded miniatures depicting scenes from the life of Christ. There are also 70 large decorated initials, mostly in gold and blue and many small gold initials throughout the text. The cover consists of two ivory plates embeded in the front cover of the leather binding, which probably originate from the 11th century, by artists from the South of France or North of Spain. These tablets were probably originally designed as a portable altar, though how they came to be in Salzburg is unknown. The abundance of gold decoration in this manuscript is one of its most well-known and unique features.
Musical Notation:
No
Call Number:
Special Coll. Rare Books XLarge BX 2003 .S25 S25 1997
Commentary Volume:
Yes
Nature of Facsimile:
full color reproduction of entire manuscript
Publication Date:
1997
Place of Publication:
Lucerne or Munich
Publisher:
Lucerne or Munich
Notes:
Commissioned by the high clergy rather than an emperor, the Salzburg Pericopes forms a counterpart to manuscripts commissioned by secular authorities at the time, such as the Pericopes book of Henry II. This book was made during the reign of the emperor Henry II and likely intended for Hartwig, archbishop of Salzburg, for liturgical purposes on selected high feast days. There were no records at all of this book until the 19th century. It was discovered in 1800 by French occupying forces. It was first listed in an inventory of the treasures of the Salzburg Cathedral which had been taken to Paris. After the defeat of Napoleon, it was moved to Munich, which it is kept to this day. Commentary in German by Fillitz, Hermann; Dopsch, Heinz; Hauke, Hermann; Kuder, Ulrich; Pippal, Martina; Wind, Peter