- Stowe Missal.
- Royal Irish Academy
- Irish, Latin
- DUBLIN, Ireland
- Shelf Mark:
- Ms. 1238 (D ii 3)
- Tallaght, Co. Dublin, Ireland.
- 67 folios (of which fols. 1-11 are not reproduced) -- ca. 138 x 108 mm
- Date Description:
- Early 9th century.
- Extracts of the Gospel of St. John (ff. 1-11) -- Ordinary and Canon of the Mass, followed by a few special Masses (ff. 12-46r) -- Order of Baptism (ff. 46v-59v) -- Order of the Visitation of the Sick (ff. 60-65r) -- Treatise in Irish on the Mass (ff. 65v- 67r) -- Three spells in Irish (f. 67v) -- Some Irish glosses throughout.
Note: can be viewed at http://www.isos.dias.ie
- Insular Minuscule --
- Musical Notation:
- Call Number:
- Medieval [7th Floor Hesburgh] General Collection BV 170 .H39 v. 31-32 Non-Circulating (another copy of v. 31 in Special Collections, Non-Circulating)
- Nature of Facsimile:
- Monochrome reproduction of ff. 12-67 -- A wide margin surrounds the reproduced pages. -- Illuminations are only present in section ff. 1-12r
Collotype plates: University Press, Oxford, England.
- Henry Bradshaw Society, 31-32.
- Publication Date:
- Place of Publication:
- Henry Bradshaw Society.
- Harrison and Sons, London.
- ff. 1-11 (Extracts of the Gospel of St. John) are not reproduced, except for fols. 1r and 11r-11v (St. John) which are reproduced in vol. 32 --
The text is transcribed in the commentary volume, with a translation of the Irish -- Photographs of the metal book case in vol. 32 --
The 1989 reprint of this facsimile is much less readable.
- Type of Text:
- liturgical, missal, religious, vernacular